Step therapy program
If you use certain medications in the certain drug classifications, you will be identified for the step therapy program.
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) for gastrointestinal treatment
- Statins for treatment of high cholesterol and other conditions
- ACE inhibitors/ARBs prescribed for hypertension and congestive heart failure
- Celebrex, sleep aids, nasal steroids, NSAIDS, tetracyclines, topical acne, corticosteroids, and immunomodulators
- Hepatitis C
- Multiple sclerosis
- Growth hormones
- Inflammatory conditions
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
When you are first prescribed a medication on the Step Therapy list, your pharmacist will advise you that you need to try a different drug prior to filling the one prescribed to you. If the alternative drug isn’t as effective as needed, you may use the medication originally prescribed to you.
Above are the most common drug classes that require step therapy, but there are other medications that may require review. Contact Express Scripts to determine whether your medication will be subject to step therapy.